Monday, February 9, 2009

Seven Things We've Discovered Along the Way

Today we celebrate our 7th wedding anniversary. In order to commemorate our anniversary, we thought we'd have some fun talking about some of the "discoveries" we've made along the way.

Seven Things S has Discovered About M:


1) For someone who reads philosophical books all day, M loves to unwind by watching reality TV. You can catch him watching Dog the Bounty Hunter, Man vs. Wild, Homeland Security USA, or Amazing Race.

2) Its either M&Ms or chocolate chips. M must have some form of chocolate every day for a snack or dessert. (Preferably with ice cream.)

3) If M wasn't pursuing a PhD, he would be want to be a small claims court judge. He makes sure to take his lunch every day at 2pm--coinciding with People's Court.

4) M doesn't like the idea of reusing ziploc bags even if its been washed and cleaned. (Something about growing up with too many ziploc bags full of food in refrigerators.)

5) M's favorite movie is Shawshank Redemption, or actually any movie that involves someone locked up in some form of a jail (even if it's set hundreds of years ago), trying to escape, and living in unsanitary conditions.

6) M's favorite "study time" music is the Messiah. We must give Handel some credit for helping him finish some tough papers and study for a few final exams.

7) M learned how to play basketball after we started dating. Since M knew how much I loved basketball, he's practiced every week for the past seven years.


Seven Things M has Discovered about S:

1) She won’t let me (or anyone else, as far as I can tell) write on a piece of paper that she’s written on (especially if she still has things to write on it). Her notes, or whatever she’s writing, must be completely organized, and the handwriting must be uniform.

2) If S could go anywhere in the world it would be to Paris. She’s already planned two trips there, both of which fell through. (Sorry baby!)

3) She returned home from a recent dentist visit, confused that the dentist asked her if she grinded her teeth. I had heard her grinding her teeth for years in her sleep and thought she knew about it. Fortunately we solved the problem without any “cool” mouth-guard.

4) S can read Chinese characters. Once when we were returning to Beijing on a tour bus, slowly moving through the traffic in town, she remarked, “Hey, isn’t that the place we need to stop at to buy our train tickets?” We jumped off the tour bus, and on the way there I asked her how she recognized it (since we hadn’t been there before), and she explained that she remembered how I described one of the characters.

5) S had never been on an airplane before we met. Since then she’s been to Hawaii on average twice a year.

6) S’s biggest fear isn’t heights, or small spaces, or any ferocious animal; rather it’s taking the GRE. She’s afraid of the math portion and hasn’t quite gotten up the courage to take it yet.

7) Not all “Indians” are “Indian”. Even though she’ll eat the food, S doesn’t like to eat in an Indian (i.e., “India”) restaurant. She says the smell is overwhelming.



15 comments:

Cami said...

Happy Anniversary! This was so much fun to read. Here's to many more years for you two (and hopefully a Paris trip or two).

ellen said...

Great list! Happy Anniversary to a cool couple!

Derik said...

I loved the lists. Have a great day.

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary and many more joyous anniversaries to come!!!
I wish you both a wonderful day and always remember that you are deeply loved.
With love.
Mom G.

Andrea, Mrs. said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!

david said...

Congrats you two! Come read Chinese characters in Hong Kong :)

Linda said...

Hope your anniversary was a happy one! It's hard to believe that you've been married for seven years, or that K will soon be two! Love you guys!

Leo said...

happy anniversary. i don't think i realized we will make seven years this year too. crazy! hope you guys did something fun.

Twinkie said...

Happy Anniversary! This list was great to read and I learned so much about both of you. S, you have to go to Paris! M, call me soon so we can catch up. xoxo.

Unknown said...

What a great list! Happy Anniversary! An obsession with reality TV: that explains the award-winning movies... ;).

Unknown said...

Congrats to 7 years! You guys have gone to many places, seen many things, done a lot of things and had an amazing daughter. I hope you guys have many more years of happiness and love. (Maybe more kids.) Happy anniversary!

Sweeney Household said...

I loved reading this post. Happy (belated) 7th Anniversary!

wilde1 said...

Your anniversary marks 7 years for Kandise and I meeting. The week before the party in Page. I think I talked about her the whole way down, right Dane and Leo? Happy Anniversary!

TGP said...

This was great!

Jill said...

I love Dog the Bounty Hunter